Castles of Germany Tour Review
Ever dreamed of being in a castle? Your dream can become a reality with the Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace Day Tour from Munich. Just look at how gorgeous they are!
When planning my trip to Germany I knew I needed to see the castle that was rumored to be the inspiration for Cinderella’s Castle: Schloss Neuschwanstein. I went online and researched tours that would take me from Munich to the castle. I found one on trip advisor with great reviews and booked it. Overall, I’d say it was a pretty great tour. You see two castles, get to explore the quaint and beautiful town of Oberammergau, and explore the town below Schloss Neuschwanstein all while being transported by an air-conditioned bus. The views on the bus are also pretty spectacular. The Bavarian Alps definitely showed off for us!
Let’s get the cons of the tour out of the way:
- Short amount of time at the town of Oberammergau and Linderhof Palace. We had the most time at Schloss Neuschwanstein, but I still would have liked more time to explore the town below it as well as the surrounded wooded area to find different view points.
- Cannot take pictures inside of the Castles
- Tour Guide was not entertaining and talked the entire trip back to Munich ( Would definitely depend on the day, but this was just my experience with he tour guide I had)
- Extra Costs for food (usually how tours are) but also on top of the ticket for the tour, you have to pay for the entrance tickets for the castle. They may have been discounted because it was a group, but I really am unsure.
- The description says you get to skip the line, but you have to wait for your time for the tour, it doesn’t mean you get to go in whenever you get there. Granted, you don’t have to wait in line to buy the tickets since the tour guide uses the money they collected on the bus and gets the tickets for you.
Now that the cons are over with, let’s talk about the great parts of this tour. For starters, the castles and surrounding towns were absolutely breathtaking. I would love to explore more of the Bavarian Alps and small towns of Germany in the future.
- You get to experience and explore small towns in Germany and see the beautiful house paintings like the ones on this house:
2. You get to go on Mary’s Bridge and get a good viewpoint of Schloss Neuschwanstein. The bridge is very narrow but the view is so worth it!
3. You get to tour the inside of both castles
4. You experience views like this:
6. All the stress of renting a car and figuring out how to get to these places are taken care of!
7. Available all year round!
Overall, I did really enjoy this tour. Both castles were beautiful and I enjoyed getting a change of scenery from the hustle and bustle of Munich to the quiet quaint towns we got the opportunity to explore. Oberammergau’s house paintings were so ornate and intricate. I’ve never seen anything like it and had no idea until the tour that people did that to their houses. I also enjoyed having everything taken care of for me so I could focus on enjoying the sights. However, I feel that the tour company should just have included the admission tickets in the original price. They did inform you of the extra cost but I think it can be an inconvenience to make sure you have enough of the local currency when you could have paid online with your credit card. In addition, I get there is a time table, but I really wish I had more time to explore other viewpoints other than Mary’s Bridge for Schloss Neuschwanstein. Although, I really did enjoy that view and wouldn’t miss it if I were you!
My final opinion is if you want to have more time to explore and don’t mind having to work out transportation for yourself, I say do it on your own! However, if you prefer to have a stress free planning experience, I would go with the tour. Like I said, I still very much enjoyed myself! I truly feel that I would have missed out on seeing Oberammergau (since I didn’t even know it existed) and the scenery I got to enjoy along the way as a passenger. If I drove myself I would have been more focused on driving on the opposite side of the road than I’m used to rather than taking in the sights along the way. If you want to book the tour I went on, here is the link! https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g187309-d11447924-Neuschwanstein_Castle_and_Linderhof_Palace_Day_Tour_from_Munich-Munich_Upper_Bavar.html
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps!